Children are our most precious resource. One of the most important things we can do for our children is provide them with a quality education. A quality education means creating an environment that maximizes every student’s ability to learn by putting good teachers in the classroom with sufficient tools and supplies to teach the students; by lowering class sizes so every student gets the attention he or she deserves; and by eliminating distractions and reducing violence in the classroom. A quality education will allow our children to choose what they want to do in life rather than force them to accept what life gives them.
I am a strong supporter of public schools. Both of my children go to public school. As your elected representative to the Board of Education, I will work non-stop to accomplish the following goals:
• Lower class size: return class sizes to state maximum limits or below;
• Balance the budget: eliminate budget deficits so property taxes do not increase;
• Reform the budget process and redirect money into the classroom where our children are being taught;
• Ensure that every graduating 3rd grader is able to read and write at or above grade level;
• Increase early educational programs for economically disadvantaged children and ESOL students;
• Significantly increase the graduation rate from our schools and make sure students who do graduate are prepared for college and/or the work force;
• Decentralize decision-making control and give principals more autonomy over their schools, staff and children. Principals are in a far better position than administrative staff downtown to know what their students need the most;
• Reduce violence in schools so children are not afraid to attend school and parents are not afraid to send their children to school.
Atlanta Public Schools is on the verge of seismic change. We have an opportunity to change the direction in which APS will move for the next generation of our children. We need to make a difference in determining which direction that will be. I need your support to make this difference come true. I am asking for your vote for Board of Education because we need someone who has the vision and the work ethic to lead APS towards a new beginning.